Monday, July 6, 2009

July already!?

Wow, time sure is flying. I cannot believe July 4th has come and gone. It seems so long ago that Jimmy and I were daydreaming about our trip to Chile and how far away it seemed to be. Now it is just around the corner, a mere 17 days away.

Having never traveled abroad I find myself being extremely excited and a little nervous.....but a good kind of nervous. Will a pocket size Spanish/English dictionary really come in handy? Do I truly need a travel pillow on the plane? How much cash should we carry down there?

If anyone has helpful traveling tips please share! =)

1 comment:

Cat said...

Anna,

Chile will be an awesome experience! I'm excited for you.

They have pillows on the plane. I don't usually carry one for international flights. I usually sleep on Sean's shoulder or against the window. I was always tired enough to sleep.

Drink water! The worst thing for long haul flights is sodium, caffeine, and alcohol. If you start to dehydrate, you can mix salt and sugar in water it helps with balancing electrolytes. I would swell when flying to India and back, but the flight to Germany is only a little longer than flying to the East Coast.

Water is important.

When I travel to Europe I take Traveler's cheques. In Albania and India, I took a few hundred dollars. For bigger purchases you can probably use a credit card, for smaller purchases cash is better. I wore my passport and money on me in Albania and India.

Speaking of passports, be sure you copy them and take copies with you and leave a copy with someone here in the states.

I'm excited for you. I've been to Honduras and the Carribean, but never South America. I would love to go to Chile! What a great opportunity. I hope it goes well!! Can't wait to see pictures!